El's Running Blog

Friday March 5th, 2010

As a Certified Pilates Instructor and Personal Trainer, I must lead by example and be fit and strong. During these winter months I have been struggling with keeping up with my cardio workouts. While running on the elliptical is challenging, it is also quite boring. Last year I picked up spinning but due to foot issues it became much too painful to continue.

Years ago, I considered myself a runner – at least 10km 5 days a week. Due to improper foot wear my knees become very inflamed. So instead of taking anti-inflammatory medicine or getting better shoes (which I still didn’t know was my problem), I just stopped running. I always enjoyed cycling so I just cycled more. Every year when spring comes around I always think I should take up running again. So, rather than starting off nice and easy, I jump into it with both feet, running 5 km as fast as possible without stopping. Needless to say, my hips and knees ached for days later and would deter me from running again.

Today in one of my Pilates classes, I mentioned I was going to try to start running again following a run/walk program. One of my valued clients suggested that I train for the Chocolate Race in Port Dalhousie in August. What better motivation than chocolate. Since this was such a wonderful idea, I decided I would start today.

I am following a 3-week running program. My first run/walk program was a 5 minute warm up walk, 1 minute of running and 1 minute of walking 10 times (20 minutes) and then 5 minutes of walking to cool down. I found this very easy but more importantly I am not sore and doubt that I will be tomorrow. I also feel really good.

Tomorrow I have the same run as today. I’m already looking forward to it. Who knows maybe I’ll be run the ½ marathon in August – but will be happy with 10km.

Comments

  1. If chocolate doesn't motivate, what will?? Of course, you have to be careful, Ellen, as I don't want to look out the window and see you leaving the house with a chocolate bar in hand... ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advise. I'll keep the chocolate well hidden from my neighbours. Why don't you join my runs? Tomorrow takeoff time is 12 noon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment