Benefits of Pilates

Pilates is more than a workout program it educates the mind. The biggest benefit of Pilates is personal awareness.

As I teach my classes or train my private and semi-private clients, I sometimes feel like a broken record repeating to lift the pelvic floor, engage the transverse muscles and stablilize shoulders. The reason I do this is for my clients to gain core strength even when they are not in class. When clients ask me what they should do when they are not in class, I tell them to lift their plevic floor and engage their transverse muscles when they are driving in the car - or stuck at a red light. Paying attention to ones posture with the knowledge of how to stabilize their shoulders engage abs and maintain a neutral spine and pelvis, will help them obtain better posture and prevent injury in everyday activities. Think of a tree - the strength is not in the limbs but in the trunk. If the trunk is not strong it will surely fall over. Well, exactly the same applies to human beings. If the core of our bodies is not concentrated upon, then this results in our bodies becoming tight in certain places and weak in others. This will result in injuries due to the drawbacks of certain occupations or our chosen form of exercise.

Pilates is not all you need to do. It should definately be part of you lifestyle along with a cardio program and healthy diet plan. I recommend at least 30 minutes of cardio 3 - 4 times weekly along with a healthy meal plan that includes raw food daily (ex. a big salad and fresh fruit).

Comments