Pilates Is Here To Stay - For Sure

Hi, I'm back.  I can't believe I have left my blog for sooooo long.  Not to much has changed.  I still love teaching Pilates.

I read an article recently that Pilates is on its way out.  NO WAY!!!  That was the silliest thing I have heard in a long time.  How can strengthening and stabilizing even be a trend?  Apparently Cross Fit and Yoga are the go-to exercises for 2014.

As a well-trained, experienced Pilates professional, I can see exactly where this is going.  If this is truely the trend, I see many injuries in the future.  It will come full-circle.  With all these upcoming injuries, Physio-therapist will be really busy along with Pilates instructor to rehabilatate the Physio clients.

You may be asking "what injuries".  Cross Fit encourages you to go beyond your comfort zone.  Lift as much as possible as fast as possible.  I'm all for challenging yourself and yes, you will get better results to push yourself.  Pilates teaches you to stabilize before movement.  Now, I can say this over and over again, but unless you practice Pilates on a regular basis, you either have no idea how to and/or it will not come naturally as your local stabilizers are not being trained regularly.  My advise - include Pilates in your workout schedule to increase strength the safe way.

As for Yoga - its been around for 1000's of  years.  There are multiple styles of Yoga from Power Yoga to Restorative classes.  Yoga is not a trend, to many its a way of life.  Like Pilates, Yoga is mindful movement.  Rather than going through the motions to "keep up" with the class, move with your breathe.  You will get much more out of your practice.  Neither Yoga or Pilates should be competitive - it is your own practice to give your body and mind what it needs.

So no worries Pilates instructors.  Continue to believe in what you do.  Guaranteed your phone will be ringing off the hook soon.

Comments